Tuesday, January 20, 2009

American History 101

by Gale Sears

Today we witness history. An African American man will stand on the steps of the Capitol building in Washington, DC and be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States, and whether or not we voted for him or agree with his policies, we thrill at the greatness of the American system of democracy. I am always heartened by the seamless and peaceful exchange of power and the brilliance of the founding fathers in establishing a means whereby we change our leaders with such dignity. I have been touched by the grace of President and Laura Bush, and the earnestness of President Elect Obama and his wife Michelle.

I am an American, and on an historic day like today I will cry when I see the stars and stripes, and hear the Marine Band play America the Beautiful. I will listen attentively to the words of my new President and pray for him and all those who will work with him in leading this country. We will go forward—for that is the way of the United States. God bless America.

2 comments:

Cheri J. Crane said...

Well said, Gale. =) I watched a portion of today's proceedings and it was very stirring.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

So beautifully stated, Gale. I agree with every word.