Sunday, January 12, 2014

Procrastinations ...and other stuff

My last post was about my resolution/determination/decision - whatever you want to call it - to perform some act of service every day for someone. I'm happy to report that - only because of the service journal I am keeping - I've managed to do that. I do have to admit that I'm counting going to the temple and performing those saving ordinances as an act of service, because I truly believe it is. I'm doing something for someone that they can't do for themselves. Back to the procrastination aspect. I look at my list of things to do every day and since that is not at the top of my list, it is way too easy to keep putting it off until later and later - and suddenly, before I know it, I'm out of time! That's the beauty of keeping lists - because I see it there and remember that I haven't done anything consciously for someone. And I've discovered that I also have to keep my little daily service journal highly visible on my desk in front of my computer just in case I set something on top of my list and forget. Why does my brain work that way? Am I getting too old to remember important things? Probably! :) I also write in my journal every day - a habit of over 35 years. During the month of November I began recording at least one thing that I was thankful for that day. So far I'm ten weeks into that little entry at the end of my day, and you'd think by now it would be a habit. It's not. I type two entries per page as any given day requires only half a page with a little narrower margins and 10 font. When I glance up at the last entry and see my "thankful" entry, it reminds me that I didn't record what I was thankful for that day. At the end of a very tiring day when I wasn't quite finished cleaning up the kitchen from having 6 missionaries for dinner (yes we have six in our YSA ward!) my wonderful husband called me into another room to show me that my recumbent exercise bike had arrived and he would be happy to put it together for me. It was 6:00 - I'd been on my feet non-stop for hours and racing the rest of the day and I was totally exhausted! I wasn't sure I could stand at the kitchen sink to finish cleaning the kitchen, much less anything else. But he was excited about getting it set up for me so I could use it the next morning. I knew he wanted/needed my help. Assembly goes much faster if you have someone handing you the right piece that is no longer shrink-wrapped and tightly taped. When he finished nearly an hour later, I could bare get back to my feet. I felt like the flu had just grabbed hold, shaken me thoroughly and settled in for the duration. I thank him, collapsed in my chair for 30 minutes, then made it to bed before I couldn't get that far! So in my entry for being thankful for a husband who loves to make me happy, I hate to temper it with the above facts. I would have been thoroughly thrilled to have him procrastinate until after his golf game the next day!! Procrastination is not always a bad thing!

No comments: