Saturday, November 29, 2014

Always Thankful

This message was meant to be posted on Thanksgiving day, which did not happen because I was busy cooking turkey, preparing potatoes, and tidying the house for expected guests. Then, when the family arrived with their assigned offerings of stuffing, green bean casserole, and pumpkin tort, the precious minutes were filled with visiting, stories, laughter, and of course, eating. After the feast there was clean-up, more visiting, and the preparation of the turkey and fixings take-home bundles. Lastly, came the hugs and final good-byes at the door. It was a lovely day.

With quiet ringing through the house, I sank into the living room chair. There were a ton of grateful thoughts swirling in my head, but I did not have the energy to organize them, or put them down on cyber paper; I just took them with me to bed where they brightened my dreams.

I love Thanksgiving day, but I also love the thought of gratitude every day--opening our eyes to the simple and precious wonders that surround us: warm water straight from the tap, quick cook oatmeal, dogs, people who still write letters, fall colors, fleece blankets, the laughter of babies...the list goes on and on.

I agree with Edward Standford Martin, who wrote,

"Thanksgiving Day comes by statute once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow."

No comments: