Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Joy of Easter

Social media is filled with such beautiful pictures and memes during the holidays. This holiday is no different in that there are many wonderful things being posted - as it should be. I believe this holiday should be celebrated more than any other because if its incredible saving grace for all of us.

I love the Easter hymns "Christ The Lord is Risen Today" and "He is Risen!" They have such a glorious, joyous message for all mankind. When I see the picture of Mary weeping at the Garden Tomb, it's so easy to understand her anguish. Her beloved Master is gone. But what an unbelievable message the angel delivered - "He is not here. He is risen." What did that mean? I can feel her frustration, her worry - where is he? What have they done with his body?

Elder Bruce R. McConkie, a favorite apostle when I was growing up, spoke of the Three Gardens of God: the Garden of Eden where it all began with the creation, the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus suffered unbelievable agony to pay for our sins,  and the Garden of the Empty Tomb where Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene.  He had burst the bands of death and is forever triumphant over the grave. 

To know that we will live again after we die is such glorious news it does seem unbelievable to some. But I believe that because our Savior, the Son of the Living God, took upon himself and suffered all the sins of the world, I can be resurrected just as he was. I can live again after death.  And so can every other living being who has ever existed on this earth.

To be reunited with loved ones who have gone on before will be the greatest measure of joy I can imagine. So this wonderful Easter weekend, I rejoice that "my Redeemer lives!"  It truly is the sweetest sentence we can hear.

2 comments:

Cheri J. Crane said...

It truly is the greatest sentence we will ever hear. Great blog post, Lynn. =)

Unknown said...

He is risen! He is risen indeed!!