Wednesday, September 30, 2009


My husband did some male bonding recently and went hiking the other day with some friends. They hiked to the top of Mount Olympus. He packed water and food and bug spray and extra socks and bandages and moleskin and granola bars and power bars and jerky and sunscreen and probably more stuff I didn't see.

When he got home he could barely walk. He could barely talk. I asked him how it was. He said, "Steep." For every mile it's 1,000 incline. Steep would be the correct word.

The rest of the day he did some moaning and groaning and a lot of sitting and laying. That was Saturday. On Tuesday he had Ibuprofen for breakfast. By Wednesday he could finally go up and down our stairs without crying out in pain.

Rest assured, I didn't let all of this go unnoticed. I had plenty of fun at his expense. His birthday is coming up. I asked him if he wanted hiking equipment. His expression was priceless. We won't be hitting Cabelas to go shopping.

On the flip side, I am going to St. George in a few weeks with my oldest daughter. Apparently you can teach an old dog new tricks because we are going to get ZUMBA certified. This is a new fitness craze that is basically choreographed dancing to music, but is heavy into Latin dancing, as well as various other dance styles. I absolutely love it and recommend it. But I digress . . . While we are in St. George we are hooking up with my three sisters and two of my nieces to do some female bonding. We plan on having a "Girls Night." It will consists of food, shopping, fun, staying up late, talking, laughing, chocolate, more laughing and more fun. The next day we probably won't be able to walk because we will be so tired because we stayed up too late and ate way too much junk.

I'm so glad I'm a girl.

2 comments:

Cheri J. Crane said...

Having climbed mountains before, I possess great empathy for your husband. ;)Shopping with loved ones sounds much more fun. =D

Susan Corpany said...

ZUMBA? How do you get certified? Didn't we used to just call that "dancing along to the radio?" Are you going to have classes? I think as writers, we should have the seventh chapter stretch or some kind of word count we reach and the computer stops until we exercise for fifteen minutes.