Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sisters in Zion

With Woman’s Conference around the corner, I find myself reflecting on some of the amazing women who have had an influence on me. I can’t help but feel extremely blessed to have had some pretty outstanding women in my life. These women are those whom I have such a great love, admiration, and respect for. I am sure we all have women who have influenced us for good.

I was reading a past Woman’s Conference talk given by Sister Julie Beck from 2007 where she spoke of standing strong and being immovable. President Hinckley had said
(I’ll quote here): “I am convinced there is no other organization anywhere to match the Relief Society of this Church. It has a membership of more than five million women across the earth. If they will be united and speak with one voice, their strength will be incalculable. . . . It is so tremendously important that the women of the Church stand strong and immovable for that which is correct and proper under the plan of the Lord.”

Sister Beck went on to say that in order to stay strong and immovable under the Lord’s plan we can be so in our faith, our families, and in relief.

The things she said with all we can be and do for our families was beautiful.

Thinking that part of her talk over, I went downstairs to switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer. I had just washed my uniform with my son’s pants and needed to get them ready for work tomorrow morning.

I opened the washer and got a strong whiff of bubble gum. Though I don’t recall buying that flavor of detergent, I proceeded to pull my pants from the washer. That’s when it hit me. The pink gooey mess stringing all over my pants for work was the stuff that my son forgot to empty from his pockets just before I put them in the washer. Everything that Sister Beck said about the good I can be to my family momentarily vanished from my mind… once I got my wits about me again, I decided I am a work in progress.

As for relief: It never ceases to amaze me of the countless times I am having a rough time, or may need some uplift, that I will say a little prayer. Without fail, an email or phone call, or a visit will come through from out of the blue, and immediately I know without a doubt my prayers are answered in the form of a sister or friend.

It’s like the hymn says:

“The errand of angels are given to women and this is a gift that as sister’s we claim. To do whatsoever is gentle and human, to cheer and to bless in humanity’s name”
I have been on the receiving end of those angel’s errands more times than I can possibly count.

Women love to help others. It’s a gift we have. May we go on forever giving of ourselves. I know how much my life has been truly blessed through the service and sacrifices of others. I pray that I can somehow express my gratitude by trying to find ways to pay those blessings forward.

And then there is faith: Sister Beck said we should find ways to excel in living and sharing our testimonies. She went on to say, “ These are simple, indispensable practices that almost seem mundane when we talk about them. However, they are marks of discipleship…” I love that. It really got me thinking.

I didn’t mean to turn this post into a Sunday School lesson. Only to say that I know how much room I have for improvement. I’m a constant work in progress. Today proved that when I sat reading a wonderful talk and two seconds later found bubble gum smeared from here to breakfast-- but at Conference time I always feel so encouraged and enlightened. I feel excited to set goals and try harder.

I am so very grateful for the women/sisters in my life that I have to look up to. In them I know I can find friendship, strength, and comfort. What a blessing they are to me!


1 comment:

Cheri J. Crane said...

Beautifully written, Jeri. We are indeed sisters in Zion, doing our best to help wherever we can.