Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Words

In thinking of a topic to write about for my blog, I had a whole other subject in mind to write about until I had to give a lesson in Gospel Doctrine this past Sunday. The lesson was taken from the book of Hosea in the Bible.

The prophet Hosea used many comparisons in his writings because (this is taken directly from the lesson manual) comparing a complicated or unfamiliar idea with one that is simpler or more familiar makes it more understandable to the people who are being taught. Comparisons also help provide a lot of detail in just a few words. In addition to these smaller comparisons, Hosea also used extended comparisons, which are called metaphors or similitudes.

The fun thing we did to begin class was to pass out some of the comparisons and metaphors written in this chapter of the Bible to see what class members thought they meant. For an easy example, “To be as a lion” may suggest one has strength or is fierce. Hosea came up with some incredible comparisons and metaphors!

In all the time I have blogged on the V-Formation, I have never felt comfortable giving out advice on writing. To me, when I look at the ladies I am in company with on this blog, I am in awe of the talent that is here and I can only soak in what they have to say. So I feel very inadequate and unqualified to hand out any advice when it comes to writing. Rather, I feel I have so much that I can learn from each of them.

I know that I have a real shortcoming at over expressing myself when I write, so when I read that comparisons provide a lot of detail in just a few words, well, that caught my attention.

Maybe if I were to hand out any advice at all, it would be to don’t do what I do, i.e. over explain, over express, over talk the subject. I do it all. The same thing can be said in one paragraph that I say in three pages.

Just two more quick thoughts and I will end—

I am reminded of Eliza Doolittle in “My Fair Lady” ( One of my all time favorite shows—I’m swooning here)

I love Professor Higgins telling everyone about the "Cold blooded murder of the English tongue."

I write how I speak, therefore I obviously have poor grammar at times.

Have you ever read a paper or an email when some word jumps out at you because of misuse? It happens all the time in my writing and I really have to watch that so that I “write” proper.

One more song that gets stuck in my head from “My Fair Lady”

Words! Words! Words! I’m so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you!
Is that all you blighters can do?
Don’t talk of stars burning above;
If you’re in love, Show me!


(Isn’t that such a great song? Okay they all are from that movie!)

Next problem I have with words and writing is the “Show, don’t tell” rule. YIKES! I struggle with that one too. I’m afraid I have no advice to give and will leave that one open for my friends who are the pros where this is concerned, but again, I do think my main problem lies in using too many words.
So, ladies, any advice?

In ending I feel like I should tell my friends how grateful I am to be in their company. I am constantly learning from them, for each of them is such an example to me. I feel blessed to be friends with such a classy group of women. I love and admire each of them.

I am in awe of their unique talent for expressing themselves through writing. They truly have a gift for words.

No comments: