Thursday, June 27, 2013

Liberty!

One of my favorite holidays is right around the corner! Yep, I love the Fourth of July. When I was young I loved it for the picnics and fireworks. As a teen I loved it for hanging out with my friends and watching fireworks. As a young parent I loved it for the parade and the fireworks which delighted my children, which in turn, delighted me. As a mature person I have found the heart of the Fourth. It is a turning of the heart to the celebration of the founding of this remarkable nation. Yes, remarkable. A turning of the heart to the struggle engaged by the founding patriots to forge this nation in the fires of freedom from tyranny.
 A turning of the heart to the ideas and principles that make the United States of America unique. A nation of laws, and of lawmakers willing to listen to the voice of the people. Of late, this greatness of the American spirit and pride has been surging in some hearts and dwindling in others. The price of the great liberty we are blessed with in this country can not be maintained without vigilance.
 
Perhaps we could all get out our copies of the Declaration of Independence this Fourth of July and read it through with our families. Perhaps we could read at least the first part of our inspired Constitution. I'm not saying to do without picnics, parades, and fireworks, but perhaps reading these amazing documents would put the heart back into the celebration of this great holiday. 
 

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!

No comments: