Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Lasting Effect

Last July, my husband and I were driving down the road flipping through the radio stations as we drove a long.
“Bet I can find a Christmas station,” he said. Of course I figured there was no way he would find anything, so between us, we made a friendly little wager. He laughed, played with the radio dial for a few more seconds, and would you believe, on came, “Frosty the Snowman”!?! I couldn’t believe my ears. I mean, this was July! Singing about a snowman while living in desert conditions months away from Christmas seemed insane to me.

Now that the air is colder and the holiday season is upon us, I find myself singing to all the Christmas carols that fill the radio stations. A few times I have heard people say that the songs are repeated so often that they are “Christmas caroled out” Me? I don’t think I ever could be.

While there are various artists that sing their renditions of songs I don’t particularly love as much as I do others, a big part of getting in the mood for Christmas for me, comes from listening to Christmas music.

For example, when I listen to the Mormon Tabernacle choir sing, “Little Drummer Boy”, “Do You Hear What I Hear?” and “Silent Night” my heart is touched in ways I cannot express. I think of that first Christmas so long ago and what that little Christ child being born with such humble beginnings would come to mean for all mankind.

When I hear Andy Williams singing “It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” the years melt away and I am a little girl again listening to my mother’s Williams Brothers Christmas album on the stereo in our family room. I have the happiest Christmas memories as a child. Andy Williams can spark those memories every time.

It’s also Andy Williams that sings my favorite musical rendition of “O Holy Night” While this song makes me think of many things, it mostly brings tears to my eyes as I think of my testimony and the love I have for my Savior and for this special time of the year.

Music affects everyone in different ways. It can cause people to think, act, and of course reminisce. It can have a great influence on us. The words to songs can touch and inspire us.

As I think of the beautiful hymns we sing at this glorious time of year, I am reminded of the scripture in D&C 25:12 “My soul delighted in the song of the heart; Yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me.”
I love singing about the Herald Angels that sang Hosanna’s, singing glory to the newborn king, announcing the birth of the Christ child, and about the small manger where the Lord Jesus laid His sweet head. I love the song that tells us of hearing the bells on Christmas day ringing peace on earth, good will toward men. The list goes on.

Music is indeed a way to worship. I love songs that help us to celebrate this wonderful time of the year. There are certainly the fun ongs that we sing with children that builds up their excitement and makes them giddy with joy, and there is music that influence us to do good unto others and truly remember the reason for this season.

I think the music at this time of year helps to build the Spirit of Christmas and can have a lasting effect.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I blogged about Christmas music on my blog too. I'm especially enjoying christmas music this year. Excellent blog, Jeri.