Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year, Everyone!! I'm curious to know how many of you set New Year's Resolutions each year?

I have to admit I get excited at the end of the year to set all kinds of resolutions that I am sure will somehow magically help me transform into my idea of the perfect person I long to be. I set my lofty goals and of course, I aim high. In fact, I aim so high that within a few days of setting those resolutions, I find myself throwing my hands up in the air wondering why in the world I can never achieve all those high expectations I have made for myself.

Does this ring true with anyone else?

This year I am bound and determined things are going to be different. New Years is a great time for a new beginning for me -- starting with a new attitude about resolutions and goal setting. I don't need to change everything about me all in one fall swoop. Instead, baby steps.

Thanks to my son and a Family Home Evening lesson he gave us on Monday night, we set a couple of goals that we plan to work on as a family for the coming year. I'm excited about the goals we set and as a family, we'll help each other achieve them.

With my calling, I have a goal, as well as one as a mother, wife, employee, and writer. I have chosen one goal or resolution for each of these areas and one personal goal that I would like to accomplish.

They are all obtainable but will take effort so that if/when I achieve them, I will feel better for having accomplished them.

Suddenly I look forward to getting started working on my goals. Resolutions don't have to be overwhelming and certainly not impossible for us to achieve. It can be a simple goal to help us to improve.

At the end of the year, I hope to have obtained my goals and made some of my weaker areas, become more of a strength.

New Years Resolutions can be a great way for a new beginning-- to have a fresh start. If you choose to set some resolutions for yourself, I wish you every bit of success possible! Make it fun and don't be too hard on yourself!

Again, Happy New Year to you all!

1 comment:

Cheri J. Crane said...

Wonderful advice, Jeri! =)Here's to a fresh, but not overwhelming start.