Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What the world needs now, is love sweet love.

When I was a little girl, whenever I had a fight with one of my friends, my mom would make me call that friend and apologize, whether I was wrong or not. I hated it at the time. But as an adult I can see the wisdom of it. Especially when it comes to family and loved ones. Does it really matter whose wrong. Isn't the relationship more important than the pride we hold wanting to prove we were right?

A few weeks ago I got my feelings hurt. Basically someone said something very mean to me. They were so quick to judge me and accuse me, and it really hurt. How I wished they would have talked to me. They would have learned that my motives were pure and I meant no harm.

A dear man and former prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon B. Hinckley, gave a talk entitled, "The Need for Greater Kindness," in the May 2006, Ensign. In this talk he said this,

"I see all around me a marvelous outpouring of love and concern for others.

Think of the vast good done by the women of the Relief Society. The shadow of their benevolent activities extends all across the world. Women reach down and give of their time, their loving care, and their resources to assist the sick and the poor.

Think of the welfare program with volunteers reaching out to supply food, clothing, and other needed items to those in distress.

Think of the far reaches of our humanitarian efforts in going beyond the membership of the Church to the poverty-ridden nations of the earth. The scourge of measles is being eradicated in many areas through the contributions of this Church.

Observe the workings of the Perpetual Education Fund in lifting thousands out of the slough of poverty and into the sunlight of knowledge and prosperity.

And thus I might go on reminding you of the vast efforts of the good people of this Church in blessing the lives of one another and with an outreach that extends across the world to the poor and distressed of the earth.

There is no end to the good we can do, to the influence we can have with others. Let us not dwell on the critical or the negative. Let us pray for strength; let us pray for capacity and desire to assist others. Let us radiate the light of the gospel at all times and all places, that the Spirit of the Redeemer may radiate from us.

In the words of the Lord to Joshua, brethren, “be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God [will be] with thee whithersoever thou goest” (Josh. 1:9).


Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone tried being a little more kind; let people in front of us on the freeway, smile at each other, offer to help someone in need, not be so quick to judge, give people the benefit of the doubt. Every since the experience last week, I've tried harder to make an effort to be kinder. I don't know if I've made a difference to anyone else, but it truly has made my days happier.

I've always loved this song and think it has a wonderful message for us. Click on the link and you can watch the video.
Jackie DeShannon - What the World Needs Now is Love lyrics

3 comments:

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Beautiful thoughts, Michele. Thanks for sharing that. Hugs!

Jennie said...

What a beautiful message. There's so much hate and discord in the world; wouldn't it be great if everyone would try sharing a little love?

Jeri Gilchrist said...

Michele, what an excellent message for you to share with us. It seems that people are so quick to anger and judge. It was so good to read from the talks you shared and the scriptures you added. It's such an important mesaage for us to be reminded of. You are so right, what the whole world needs now is much more love.