Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Moving Onwards and Upwards

Two months ago my parents moved to their "new" house, a cottage in a little village near Ipswich. The house was built in 1491 and is full of charm, character, wonky walls and low doorways. They love it, and I can see that it is delightful, but it's over an hour's drive from my house when they used to live within walking distance. Another good friend moves next month, to Gloucester, and I'm a bit sad about that too. It'll take us three hours to drive to their house rather than five minutes.


I haven't had to face my children leaving home and moving away yet, but I'm starting to get an inkling of how tough it will be. It's not easy when things change and people move on. They have to, of course. Everyone has to do what is right for them and their family, and sometimes that means making a big change.

That's one reason why I am so grateful for my lovely husband, and eternal marriage. Whatever happens, and whoever else moves on, we will always have each other. Companions in our dotage, as comfortable as a pair of slippers, one little bit of stability in an ever-changing world. Barring illnesses, accidents and tragedies (which would separate us only temporarily in any case), we will share our goals and dreams for years to come, offering support, love, affirmation and friendship no matter what is happening with others outside the walls of our home.

No comments: