Thursday, June 17, 2010

Snow in June!

It snowed at the cabin last night. June 17th, and it snowed!

Life is full of unexpected occurrences. The trick, I suppose, is to be flexible when life inserts a detour, crisis, or challenge. And it's not just flexibility we need, but bravery and inventiveness. We come upon a mountain to climb and we open our backpack of helpful tools: character, determination, faith, and we set our course. If we're smart, we look for guides who have been over the mountain before. We take along friends that encourage us and won't let us give up. We admit our frailties and ask for help. Somehow we make it to the top, and usually the top of the mountain offers us a new vista. A broader vision of life.

As a writer, I look for those unexpected life occurrences which challenge the characters. It's what makes the story! How boring the book would be if the characters went blissfully along without any challenges to test their metal.

Snow in June? Yes.

1 comment:

Jeri Gilchrist said...

What a beautiful post, Gale. It made me stop and think.

It's not always easy to climb our mountains. I am so grateful for those loved ones who help me face my challenges and encourage me along the way. They are truly a blessing in my life.

Thank you for sharing such a great post!