Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Grandma's pride and joy


I realize that Cheri Crane has already written a beautiful blog about being a grandmother.

I think she has captured the feelings of every grandmother's heart. So at this time, I just want to add, this is an incredible point in my life and I am feeling so blessed.


On Monday, January 11, 2010, I became a grandmother for the first time to a little grandson. Though we waited with anticipation for this day, when it was actually time, I was flooded with emotion.


First of all we had a trek to make from Salt Lake to Idaho. I may be crazy, but for some reason, the drive this time took twice as long as it usually does. I have always felt it was way too long to begin with.


About an hour away from the hospital it struck me with such force that at this very minute, my grandson was struggling to make his way into this world. He was to be the first grandson, the first great grandson, and the first nephew on our side of the family. With this little baby making his entrance, he was the beginning of a whole new generation in our eternal family. Once more I felt so grateful for the knowledge that families are forever.


We didn't quite make it in time for the delivery, I met my grandson when he was an hour old. When my son handed his son to me, I was overcome with emotion. My little grandson looked at me, and I looked at him. Instantly my heart melted and I fell in love with a perfect little baby. My pride and joy had just arrived and it's grandma's little boy. Ryker, 7 lbs. 7 oz.


In a couple of days time, I'll have to go back to Salt Lake. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to leave my grandson behind. He owns a part of my heart. But I'll tell you one thing, The love in my heart, the feelings of gratitude I feel, and the memories of these incredible few days will be with me where ever I go. (And I plan to make A LOT of trips to Idaho)

4 comments:

Cheri J. Crane said...

I'll just warn you now, Jeri, I cried all the way home after I had spent about a week helping out when my little granddaughter first arrived into mortal mode. ;) Good times. I still miss her greatly, but I'm always looking forward to future visits.

Your grandson is adorable, and lucky to have such a loving grandmother. Maybe one of these times when you head to Idaho we can link up. It'll give me an excuse to hug my little granddaughter. =D

Gale Sears said...

What a tender post, Jeri. That little Ryker is a lucky lucky boy. He will be surrounded by love his whole life and on into the eternities.

Stephanie Black said...

Jeri, congratulations on this beautiful miracle in your life!

Jennie said...

This couldn't happen to a better, more deserving person than you. That little guy is one lucky(blessed) little boy to get you for a grandma. From the looks of that picture I think you can tell your daughter-in-law and your son they do good work.