Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Blatant Advertising

Today's blog might be considered blatant advertising because I want to tell readers about a new book that has just been released, one that would make a great Mothers' Day gift. Hint! Hint! Remember Mother's Day is just four weeks away!  The book is titled The Art of Motherhood and contains thirty true short stories by different LDS writers, seven of whom are bloggers on this V-Formation blog and we're all also LDS fiction authors:  Jennie Hansen, Jeri Gilchrist, Betsy Brannon Green, Gale Sears, Michele Ashman Bell, Kerry Blair, and Nancy Campbell Allen.  There are also stories by many other favorites such as Traci Hunter Abramson, Anita Stansfield, Josi Kilpack, Toni Sorenson, Sarah Eden, Annette Lyon, Melanie Jacobson, Heather Moore, Julie Wright, Jeffrey Savage,  Joni Hilton and many others.  There are even stories by loved writers we haven't heard from for awhile like Kitty De Ruyter-Bons, Lucille Johnson, and Alma Yates.



 I am thoroughly impressed by this book.  I laughed at Sara Eden's story.  I wanted to hug Kerry Blair when she wrote of her soldier son. I ached for Traci Abramson and her forever daughter. I felt an urge to applaud those like Annette Lyon, Michele Bell, and Jeri Gilchrist who handled parenting's tough moments with reliance on the Spirit. And there were tears for those who remembered mothers or children who have passed away. There are also loving stories of women who were "like mothers." My own story is about my two precious miracle granddaughters and my daughter and daughter-in-law who are their mothers.

The stories are great, but so is the art work.  The lovely paintings that grace this book are by notable artists such as Greg Olsen, Mary Cassatt, Robert Duncan, Liz Lemon Swindle, and many other notable artists.

The book is in hardback and available at any store that sells LDS books, on Amazon, and at many  chain bookstores.  Though the back of the book is marked $19.99, it is discounted at some stores.

2 comments:

Kerry Blair said...

Seriously, Jennie?! Totally not fair! It is 5 am -- 4 in Utah -- and I just sat down to put up a book blurb as MY blog. I cannot believe that I now have to write something. I blame you. :)

I also love the book! I spent all day yesterday trying to choose three or four bits that I liked the best -- and couldn't do it. I love the beautiful pictures and, especially, the diversity of the essays. It's not what I expected. As someone who's usually not a fan of "Mother's Day books" I honestly cherish this one.

Kerry Blair said...

Okay, I see I'm wrong. It's 6 in Utah. Somehow I do not feel nearly as self-righteous. AND I remember now -- you folks spring ahead this time of year and fall back when it starts getting dark earlier . . .