Thursday, April 18, 2013

Virtue and Government

For many Americans, the shift in our present government's approach to the Constitution is alarming. As the Progressive leaders lean away from the founding principles, they feel it's their job to legislate morality (or lack of morality), legislate away 1st and 2nd amendment rights, and even legislate what type of car we should drive and how much soda we should drink. They want the federal government to grow...and grow. They want to be the Big Brother who will bail out failing banks and businesses, and take over health care. They improperly use executive orders, misuse the people's money, and show contempt for the people's trust.

The founders recognized that in order for a Republic to survive, the people must exhibit public virtue. It is then their responsibility to elect leaders cut of the same cloth.

Benjamin Franklin said, "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."

If we are just now waking up to the fact that our country is languishing, we have only our complacency to blame. There is no judgement here. Five years ago, I took a good look in the mirror. I had been calling myself an American without really putting in much effort to wear that title. I put very little time into studying the issues, or searching out the most virtuous (industrious, frugal, honest) individuals to represent me in the halls of government.

After the self-evaluation, I got busy. I knew that first I needed to work on my own virtue, and then encourage virtue in my family, neighborhood, and larger community. I also realized that I needed to be more diligent in evaluating the character of those desiring to be my elected leaders.

John Adams said, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

One of my favorite quotes is from Confucius. I feel it sums up what's wrong with America and the world, and where we need to start if we want to improve things.

"If there be rightness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world."

1 comment:

Cheri J. Crane said...

What a wonderful quote, Gale. =) I'm so glad you shared it and your thoughts.